|Click to Enlarge|
The emigrant ship Niantic was left on this spot in the early days "when the water came up to Montgomery Street." Converted for profit, it was covered with a shingle roof with offices and stores on the deck. At the level of which was constructed a wide balcony surmounted by a verandah. The hull was divided into warehouses, entered by doorways on the sides. A fire on May 3, 1851, destroyed all but the submerged hulk which later was used as the foundation for the Niantic Hotel, a famous hostelry which stood until 1872.